- This event has passed.
No-Till Market Gardening Intensive: Tools and Techniques For Vital Crops and Healthier Soils
July 9, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$75 – $105
Learn techniques for intensively growing vegetables using no-till practices on a commercial scale from long-time farmers Jen and Pete Salinetti of Woven Roots Farm. Jen and Pete have managed their diversified vegetable farm for over 15 years using inexpensive, low-tech tools. Their system has built a soil with incredible structure, water-holding capacity, and the soil life needed to grow nutrient-dense crops. They’ve been able to do so all while reducing the use of fossil fuels and compaction associated with tractor equipment.
During this day-long workshop we’ll learn the fundamentals of their no-till system. including detailed information and hands-on demos on:
- Understanding the principles of soil health
- Fertility: what amendments to use, when to add them, and how they’re incorporated
- Transplant production and direct-seeding into no-till beds
- Bed preparation
- How to transition a bed to a new crop within 24 hours
- Controlling annual and perennial weeds
- Tips for growing the healthiest transplants
- Pathway management
- Irrigation and reducing water use
- Inexpensive season extension techniques
- Proper use and maintenance of essential tools