Elena and Karl run a 5-acre vegetable, flower, and berry farm on leased land in Stow, MA (45 min from Somerville, 30 min from Waltham & Worcester, <15 min from Acton, Framingham, and Hudson). We are working toward organic certification in Feb 2021. For our third year in business we will grow for a 25 member May CSA, 80 member June-October CSA, 55 member November-December CSA, roadside farm stand, 1 farmers’ market, and a busy Pick-Your- Own flower field. 2019 was full of infrastructure investments (new well, walk-in cooler, greenhouse, high tunnel); 2020 will be focused on soil health (organic matter and fertility), reducing our tillage (adding silage tarps and more mulch to our systems), and learning about high tunnel production (tomatoes and winter greens). The farm vibe we strive for is: transparent, organized, quick-paced, budget-driven, open to new ideas, supportive, and adaptive.
Position is March-December (all roughly 8-hour days)
– 3-4 days week March and April (some weekend days)
– 5 days/week in May (some weekend days)
– 5 days/week June-September, Monday-Friday, including Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
– 5 days/week October (some weekend days)
– 2 days/week November-December, or 4 days/week November
The Assistant Grower will help with most aspects of field, greenhouse, and high tunnel production, including but not limited to seeding, bed preparation and farm maintenance with a tractor, transplanting, irrigating, harvesting, postharvest washing and packaging, and setting up the farm stand. Work will be done individually, with work shares, or with 1-3 other staff. The Assistant Grower will also staff 1 farmers’ market/week June-September and run 1 day of CSA distribution at the farm stand. Some high tunnel and farm stand construction may also be required, no experience necessary. Full explanations of how and why we do what we do will be provided.
**If you’re excited about this position but have a scheduling conflict, ask us where we can be flexible!**
You: – Want to start or manage your own farm one day OR
– Are interested in joining a small business for 2/+ years and are interested in managing a particular aspect of the business (ie: farm stand stocked with local goods, flower production, high tunnel production, winter production) – Like to work reasonable hours and have your summer weekends free! – Like eating vegetables and being outside, even in crummy conditions. You even know how to dress to stay warm!
– Are self-motivated and have a positive attitude, even when performing tasks that some may describe as a “slog”
– Are able to bend, turn, and lift 50 lbs repeatedly
– Feel comfortable communicating your needs
– Enjoy working with customers 1-2 days/week (our customers are really nice, can’t stress that enough!)
– Have at least 1 season of farm experience under your belt
– Tractor experience and high tunnel experience is a plus (but don’t hesitate to apply if you don’t)
Compensation & Benefits:
– Season starts at $14 or $14.50, depending on experience
– Spring, Summer, and Fall CSA shares and 25% discount on local foods in farm stand (ie: organic fruit, honey)
– 5 days paid vacation to be taken June – October
– Paid attendance at 3 CRAFT workshops of your choosing, however other than these from June-October you will be working during CRAFT meetings
Unfortunately, no housing is available. Hudson, Marlborough, Acton, Framingham and Maynard are nearby towns that often have reasonably priced apartments.
**Potential for winter hours and significant position growth in 2021**
To apply please send a resume with relevant experience and a paragraph explaining why you’re interested in the position to: Elena and Karlfarmer@small-farm.com
Direct any questions about the position to firstname.lastname@example.org .