Barrett’s Mill Farm is seeking 2 Assistant Growers for the 2017 season. Assistant Growers will work directly with the two farm owners/managers, making it a great opportunity to get hands-on farming experience while also learning what it takes to run a small farm business.
About Barrett’s Mill Farm:
Barrett’s Mill Farm is a diversified vegetable and fruit farm located on town-owned land in Concord, Massachusetts. We sell the large majority of our vegetables through our farm stand and our CSA. In our fourth season we plan to increase our CSA and Bucks credit program size to 225 members, keep our farm stand open 5 days per week, and expand our annual vegetable production area to 10 acres. We will also continue to manage about 1 acre of perennial crops, including asparagus, gooseberries and blueberries. We use sustainable growing methods and are applying for organic certification for 2017.
- Work with the farm team on day-to-day field and greenhouse tasks, including seeding, transplanting, mulching, hand weeding, hoeing, irrigation, harvesting, and farm store set-up and clean-up.
- Regular independent work includes greenhouse watering, light carpentry and maintenance projects, assisting with store stocking, and at least one day per week washing and other post-harvest vegetable handling.
- Participate in farm outreach events, such as spring Open House, member orientation, and annual Ag Day farmers’ market.
- Depending upon experience and ability, the Assistant Grower may also have the opportunity to do some tractor work, lead part-time workers and volunteers in regular farm tasks, or take on responsibility for independent projects.
- A positive attitude, good sense of humor and a strong work ethic are essential qualities for this position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and perform repetitive physical tasks in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to work efficiently independently and cooperatively as a member of a small team.
- Organized and attentive to detail.
- Punctual. Reliable transportation is necessary as on-farm housing is not available.
- Experience working outdoors in all types of weather and/or experience in a fast-paced work environment.
- Prior farming experience is not required but it is a plus.
- Tuesday – Saturday, 7am – 4:30pm during busiest season (schedule will vary slightly seasonally)
- Mid April – late October
- There is a possibility that part-time hours will be available for one person in March.
- We can be somewhat flexible about start and end dates, but full-time availability by early May is a must.
Pay starts at $12/hour. Fifteen minute morning break is paid, 1 hour lunch break is unpaid. Assistant Growers who commit to the full season will be eligible for 1 week paid vacation after completing 12 weeks of employment in good standing. Assistant Growers will also have access to produce from the farm. We do not have on-farm housing available.
To apply, please send a resume, letter of interest and 2-3 references to Lise Holdorf at email@example.com