Upcoming SNAP Retailer Sign-up Days

The Department of Transitional Assistance, (DTA), Department of Agricultural Resources (DAR), USDA and our community partners will be holding several sign up events so farmers and farmers market managers can easily get their farm or market ready to accept SNAP (formerly food stamps) benefits. At these drop-in information sessions you can get your farm, farm stand or farmers’ market authorized for SNAP and receive your USDA FNS number the very same day! USDA staff will be on site to walk you through the process and assist with your application. You will also learn about equipment options and about processing SNAP and the new Healthy Incentives Program (HIP) benefit. NOTE: Registration for the conferences is not required if you wish to only attend the retailer sign-up events.

DTA, DAR and USDA staff will be available at the following events:


1. Northeast Harvest Meeting: Thursday, April 20, 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Topsfield Fairgrounds, 207 Boston St, Topsfield MA 01983
2. CISA/Northampton Senior Center, Wednesday, April 26, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm, 67 Conz Street, Northampton
3. Taunton YMCA, Thursday, April 27, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm, 71 Cohannet St., Taunton, MA
4. Mass Farmers Markets Annual Meeting, Saturday, April 29, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm, 240 Beaver Street, Waltham
5. Central MA Grown, April 24, Time and location TBA

SNAP Retailer Sign-Up: Things to Bring

If you intend on getting an FNS number (SNAP retailer authorization) at one of the above sign-up events, please bring copies of the following documents, to be included with your application:

1) Picture ID (driver’s license or passport).
2) Social Security Card (or other official document with your name and SSN).
3) Copy of voided check for bank account you will use to deposit funds.

For non-profit 501(c)(3) Only:

Farmers Markets operated/sponsored by a non-profit are the ONLY applicants that are not required to submit verification of a Social Security number for corporate officers/board members.

Documentation Required:

a) Copy of the IRS Determination Letter stating the organization is a 501(c)(3). A (C)(4) and (C)(6)
will not be accepted.
b) Letter from the sponsoring agency stating that they are sponsoring the farmers market and who they have appointed as their legal representative to operate the farmers market.
c) The application must be signed by a corporate officer or a board member.

For Government Owned/Operated Farmers Markets Only – Documentation Required:

a) Copy of the City/Town IRS EIN/TIN Tax Exempt Letter.
b) City/Town Official must sign the Application Certification Page.
c) No personal information is required or needed.

For more information please contact:

David Webber, Department of Agricultural Resources
O: 617.626.1754 or E: david.webber@state.ma.us

Frank Martinez Nocito, Department of Transitional Assistance
O: 413.772.3411 or E: frank.martineznocito@state.ma.us

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top