- This event has passed.
Ditch Use, Maintenance, & Management
October 24, 2022 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pmFree
Join CISA, the NRCS, and UMass Extension for a hard look at using and maintaining agricultural ditches on commercial farms. Learn what can and can’t be done when it comes to managing ditches and the water that fills them, and the kinds of support available to farm owners and managers from local organizations and agencies.
Presentation topics include:
- Wetland conservation regulations administered by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).
- Interpretation and application of wetland conservation regulations on farmland.
- Practical points for the planning, design, and installation of drain tile on farmland.
- Planning and design considerations, such as existing soil and slope characteristics, installation depth, grade, size, bedding, backfill, stabilization, and outlet.
- Kate Parsons, Resource Conservationist, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
- Manuel Díaz, Civil Engineer, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
- Scott Jackson, Extension Associate Professor, Department of Environmental Conservation, University of Massachusetts Amherst
For more information, contact Stephen Taranto, CISA Program Coordinator, 413-665-7100 ext. 17