- This event has passed.
Watson Farm: Management & Forage Production for Grass Based Livestock
July 10, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
This twilight Pasture Walk at Historic New England’s Watson Farm will be led by Don Minto and Chris Dvorak, farm managers, who have been managing Red Devon Cattle and sheep on these historic grasslands for well over 35 years.
This discussion and tour will feature forage management practices that have evolved and been implemented on Watson Farm’s extensive grasslands. Some topics that will likely be discussed are:
- The history of the “Grasses of Conanicut”
- Portable and permanent fences for rotational grazing
- The grazier’s eye: farmers footsteps
- Production of summer annuals for grazing, field renovation & drought
- Stockpiling pastures for extending the grazing seasons
- Cattle selection and management for 100% grass-fed & finished beef
- Pasture fertility management with foliar fish spray
- The problem of forage degrading invasive plant species
- Developing forage streams for the grazing season
- Frost seeding legumes: nitrogen fixation and improved palatable forage
- Wintering the cow/calf herd